watchX - Housing Design Event With 3DEXPERIENCE

Hi everyone.

As you know, the watchX does not have a housing included in the box. Because we want our users to experience 3D design and come up with their own ideas for housings. That’s why you can find the original design files of watchX from GrabCAD and a Reference Housing Design from Thingiverse.

We were discussing this idea with our friends from the Dassault Systemes. And we wanted to turn this idea into a design event. They have a new platform called 3DEXPERIENCE. Which lets users to get access to a fully-fledged 3D design environment in their web browser.

The main objective of this event is to bring users of the watchX into the design thinking process and expand the design of watchX. Users will use the new 3DEXPERIENCE solution by Dassault Systemes and they will design or modify housings for watchX and its accessory G-Pad.

We will share the event updates and current designs of contributors from the social accounts of argeX and watchX.

The rewards are;

• watchX Hacker Kit (will be given by draw within the participants)
    • 1 x watchX
    • 1 x G-Pad
    • 1 x Arduino Adaptor
  • 3D Connexion SpaceMouse (will be given to the best design chosen by the jury)

About the Event
The event is divided into 2 stages.

Preliminary Application Stage (Deadline 30/12/2019 00:00 UTC)
Participants will fill and submit a form to enter the event. 50 of the participants will be selected for the next stage.

Design Stage (30/12/2019 00:00 UTC - 25/01/2020 00:00 UTC)
Participants will design housings for watchX and G-Pad at this stage. After the Design Stage jury will evaluate the design by the following terms;

• Overall aesthetic
  • Ease of use
  • Producibility
  • Innovative thinking

Announcement of The Winners 30.01.2020
The winners will be announced and rewards will be shipped to them.

Here you can find the terms and conditions of the event.

terms and conditions

watchX - Housing Design Event With 3DEXPERIENCE

Terms And Conditions

About The Event

The event “watchX - Housing Design Event With 3DEXPERIENCE Platform” is carried out by argeX with the collaboration of Dassault Systemes.

watchX is a DIY smartwatch that users build and code. It is also a STEM education tool that students learn to code easily. But, in today’s STEM education market the focus is generally on coding. With watchX users also have the ability to design and produce a mobile device housing (smartwatch in this case). This helps to bring industrial design and 3D design for manufacturing to the STEM education market.

There are 3D models of watchX and a reference housing design available for download right now. Users can either download the reference design and 3D print it. Or they can download the original design of watchX and come up with their own ideas.

The main objective of this event is to bring users of the watchX into the design thinking process and expand the design of watchX. Users will use the new 3DEXPERIENCE solution by Dassault Systemes and they will design or modify housings for watchX and its accessory G-Pad.

We will share the event updates and current designs of contributors from the social accounts of argeX and watchX.

The rewards are;

• watchX Hacker Kit (will be given by draw within the participants)
    • 1 x watchX
    • 1 x G-Pad
    • 1 x Arduino Adaptor
  • 3D Connexion SpaceMouse (will be given to the best design chosen by the jury)

Event Steps and Dates
Preliminary Application Stage (Deadline 30/12/2019 00:00 UTC)
Participants will fill and submit a form to enter the event. 50 of the participants will be selected for the next stage.

Design Stage (30/12/2019 00:00 UTC - 25/01/2020 00:00 UTC)
Participants will design housings for watchX and G-Pad at this stage. After the Design Stage jury will evaluate the design by the following terms;

• Overall aesthetic
  • Ease of use
  • Producibility
  • Innovative thinking

Announcement of The Winners 30.01.2020
The winners will be announced and rewards will be shipped to them.

Event Rules

• Participants must use the 3DEXPERIENCE Platform supplied by argeX and Dassault Systemes to make their 3D design.
  • Participants can contribute as many 3D designs as they want.
  • Participants can make 3D designs for watchX or G-Pad.
  • Participants may modify the given reference designs for watchX or G-Pad. Or they can come up with their own designs as well.
  • Participants must share the design process on their social accounts with #3DEXPERIENCE #watchX hashtags.
  • Participants must fill the survey about their user experience when submitting their 3D designs.
  • Participants must upload their designs to GrabCAD and make it available for use of everyone.
  • Participants must submit their own name and contact information at the application stage.
  • Participants must obey the time constraints. Submitting after the deadline will not be tolerated.
  • If a participant won’t follow the rules above. They won’t be eligible for the rewards.
  • The winner will be selected by a jury of 3D design experts. Winner of the 3D Connexion SpaceMouse can not also win the watchX Hacker Kit.
  • The winner of the watchX Hacket Kit will be selected with a draw.
  • argeX holds the right to make modifications to the terms and conditions of the event.

argeX holds the right to make modifications to the terms and conditions of the event.

2 Likes

Congratulations to everyone who accepted for design event! Please feel free to ask questions!
Good luck!

Hello,
I have one question : do we have to start from scratch or are watchx components available on the plateforme?
Thanks,
François

You can do either of them. It’s all up to you :slight_smile:

You can upload the original design files of watchX from GrabCAD or Reference Housing Design from Thingiverse directly into 3DEXPERIENCE.

1 Like

Hello,

I shared my .stl.
https://grabcad.com/library/spinning-toy-watchx-1.

I don’t find where is the survey and the application stage ?

1 Like

Looks interesting :smiley:

I will send the survey to the attendees after the deadline. Don’t worry about it. :wink:

Thank you,
to be honest, I would have liked to have some time to print it, try and improve but it’s not the good month for me :wink: .
I have other designs in mind such as a half spere rather than a pin (so you can even do a magic8-ball :smiley: ).

Any way I’ll create a post here with some results later :wink:

François

And so here is the second one : the WatchX magic-8ball
https://grabcad.com/library/watcx-magic-8ball-1

Wow this is really cool. Can’t imagine this with o semi black transparent cover on the opening. That would make it a great desk watch:)

1 Like

Good idea in black :wink:

1 Like

Hi, I could’t post my design on any of the 3DEXPERIENCE community because I was not an author on any of them. Because of that reason I have posted my design on GrabCAD and I added share link to that design on Getting Started Community timeline. I just want to inform you about that problem, thank you.
Btw I also prepared a short assemble animation for my design but it ended up looking so good on the stock housing, you can watch from the attached link.

1 Like

This is really really stylish! The stand really completes the case:) Once 3D printed, I am sure this case will be on my wrist for a quite some time:)

1 Like

Video is coming

1 Like

WatchX spinning toy

1 Like

Jus wow :smiley: Looks like fun. We had a good laugh at the office. Really glad for your effort. :slight_smile:

Yeah, definitely not the final design but there are some ideas to push further.

I’ll work on “2D physics engine” to find nice drawings reacting to spinning

Edit :
Video stars

Big stars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oakwe39a-Yk Ahah something like this came to my mind:D

I need a wonderfull physics tutorial from @ecaldir to do it :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I’ll figure something out for this. :smiley:

Hello guys, any results ?:relaxed: