Modified Housing Design

I made a modification of the standard watchX housing design. It has bridges on top and bottom parts and snap locks, which will stick together both parts. Attention: This design is made for Onyx 3D-Printers (https://markforged.com) with a nylon/carbon fiber material mix. This material is stiff enough that the snap locks will not break. Download link:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3273660

You can download 4 files: Bottom part with bridges, button, top part with bridges and snaps and top part with bridges, but without snaps.

These are the modifications:1 2 3 4 5

• Reduced diameter (3%) of the pins on bottom part for better lock.
  • Bridges on both parts, snaps (hooks) on top part. The noses of the snaps are oversized. Take a rasp and
    shorten them, till they snap and lock easy.
  • Enlarged button height to avoid gap.

Be careful when you try to close the parts first time to avoid OLED display damage. Adjust it with a rasp or a knife. My Onyx made version locks nice. I made no tests with other materials.

2 Likes

Looks great! I am so happy that someone is contributing to the physical design.

Can you post some photos of the print when it is done? I cant wait.

Print is already done. I will use my watchX for skydiving. The altimeter is working well. Now I try to control a helmet mounted camera over bluetooth. WatchX is a nice piece!

2 Likes

Nice Job, i like the modifications.
How much space do we have to fiddle the nato strap through.

:+1:

And please share your altimeter code if you like.

Looks great, I’m going to try and print a couple tonight! Will let you know how they turn out, and lessons learned!

Wooow, Please don’t forget to share the flight video with us:) I loved how red strap and black case blend together :heart_eyes: What is the brand of the camera that you want to control? Here is a document that you may benefit during the Bluetooth camera trigger development stage. Please check page 108.

Edit: 16/12/2018 Any progress on the project:) Really excited to see the results:D

Altimeter works fine in my test chamber. Now I try to integrate the BLE feature to control the helmet mounted camera. I want to use the iPhone X camera because of better quality in comparison to action cams (Gopro). Start and stop (play/pause) works fine. But there are some problems remaining (sketch size, non compatible libraries, feedback of camera status etc.). Hopefully I can solve these tasks before skydiving season begins.

So you can start and stop recording by sending (play/pause) commands, thats great:) You can also implement capturing a picture by (Volume+ / Volume-). When does the skydiving season begins?

I still can’t believe that a piece of hardware that we have designed is goingto be used in a harsh environment like skydiving.

I can’t wait! this is insane :laughing: